Saturday, September 13, 2008

Then again, maybe not

Being a parent myself now, I appreciate my mom at a whole new level. I recognize the sacrifices she made so that I did not have to go without. I am thankful for the boundaries she set for me and I realize they were truly put in place for my protection. I understand in a whole new way that my mom was never out to get me, no matter what I believed as a teenager, and that she never once made a decision without agonizing over if it was the right one, only wanting to do the best job she could and not having the luxury of a crystal ball to tell her if it was the right one. I appreciate this because now it's my turn to agonize and set limits and boundaries and wonder if I'm doing any of it right or if I'm scarring my children for life.

So it was with great delight and surprise, after wiping Tristan's hands and face after lunch a few days ago, I heard him say "Thank you Mom. You take good care of me." I scooped him up into a great big hug, and rained kisses down on him while he giggled, my heart full and soaring, he gets it! All the things I do for him, he gets it! He appreciates it! I let him down to go play and savoured the deliciousness of that comment for hours in a happy little bubble of joy and fulfillment.

Sometime later that day I saw the kids playing together on the floor with a talking My Little Pony that Ava got for her birthday and I stopped to watch. This pony comes with a stethoscope, a thermometer, a medicine spoon and a box of kleenex and was currently sneezng up a storm. After much bossing from Ava and negotiation from Tristan one of them finally got to wipe the poor pony's nose with a special mini kleenex. Just as I was about to commend them on their kindness I heard the pony say, "Thank you. You take good care of me."

6 comments:

  1. My little pony's can talk now? They can sneeze? What is this world coming to?
    Amazing story like always heath

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

    (we have that pony too.....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL LOL!!!!! (We have a pony that talks three :) )

    p.s cute story to tell at his wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that is the funniest thing I have EVVVER heard.

    I actually laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little disappointed that you've not written anything new in awhile.

    Not that I'm one to talk or anything, but still. LOL

    ReplyDelete