Friday, December 12, 2008

Happy Birthday to me

Having a December birthday is interesting. On one hand I love it - the lights, the sparkle, the celebratory nature of the season. On the other hand I don't love it - it's parties that are not for your birthday and presents that are for under the tree.

Last year was my favourite birthday that I can remember. I turned 30 and we met my very dearest friend Michelle and her husband in Calgary for a weekend of shopping, dining, Stuart Macleaning, and giggling - all sans children, oh except for Sebastian who was two months old and still nursing. But he was so easy it was like having no kids - one night we were 4 hours at dinner and he slept in his carseat under the table the entire time without so much as a squeak. That was a great birthday and I give Hugh much kudos for coming up with the idea and making it happen. It completely makes up for my birthday the first year we were married.

That year we had moved to Vernon from Fort St. John 2 months earlier. Hugh was just starting as a youth pastor and I had been working retail for about a month so we were quite literally poor as church mice. That year we went out to Kelly O'Briens (had to take advantage of the free birthday dinner of course) and Hugh handed me a nicely wrapped parcel that turned out to be a pair of black gloves which I needed and appreciated. A few weeks later I was at an outdoor event of some kind with our new church trying to get to know people, wearing my new sueded black gloves - not real suede, sueded. There's a difference. Anyway it was snowing and with my gloved hands I had brushed the snow off my face throughout the evening. Can you see where this is going yet? When I got home and went to wash my make-up off I saw, to my horror, my face was covered in black, almost camo-like streaks. Awesome.

Now I get that we didn't have much money and I was truly grateful for the gloves, well until the dye came off on my face, but it really rankled when 6 months later for Hugh's birthday he got an xbox. It only took him 6 years to make it up to me. I'd say I got some good mileage out of that one wouldn't you?

This year I'm turning a very anti-climactic 31. We're not doing anything elaborate to celebrate like last year but I am going out for dinner and then to a movie with my husband who I will get all to myself; and since we haven't been out on a date without our kids since last year at my birthday that feels like a real gift indeed.

Hugh was quick to mention that we didn't go out for his birthday this year and that it would be my turn to do some making up. However if the movie tonight turns out to be boring maybe we'll do some making out - I think that should cover it don't you?

5 comments:

  1. Friend, happy birthday. i will never forget your birthday as it is the same day as my precious Mercy's. Glad to hear that darrin and I are normal in the whole birthday sucking department...hehe..one year darrin bought me a toaster( a 13 dollar one from walmart) and an electric toothbrush..nothing says LOVE like that..hehe..
    Hope the dinner is fabulous and the movie exciting....enjoy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    you are so funny. i had a rough day and that made giggle. Oh the stories I could tell you all about our birthday dramas......it was almost the end of "us" this was during the engaged phase ;) my birthday is early january people are all partied when my turn comes around ;(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing beats last year...that was a kick ass dinner....

    Happy birthday my dearest friend...did you like our singing?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oy with the poodles already.

    I mean, happy birthday! :)

    Have a fantabulous time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh happy late birthday to you!
    I'm a bit neurotic about my birthday so I get it!

    Um and I feel like I should know you because I moved from FSJ to Vernon to Calgary but I think maybe at different times than you:)

    Hope this year was also a good one!

    ReplyDelete