Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Calaway Adventures

During the Canada Day weekend we met some good friends in Calgary and spent the weekend camping at Calaway Park which is a permanent amusement park with a campground attached.  My kids had never been on rides before and I couldn't believe how much Tristan and Ava loved them.


Even big rides.  Scary rides.  Rides that I, um... cried on.  Like the swings.  True story, I cried on the swings.  It was the first ride we did and I thought Ava was going to freak out.  She doesn't even like an underduck at home.  I knew she was going to freak out.  And then it was me who cried - seriously those swings are really high! - and she loved it and wanted to do it again.

They even liked this big boat thing that swung back and forth like an enormous terrifying pendulum.  This picture does not do justice to how big the pendulum arc is.


Tristan and Ava really wanted me to do this one with them.  As the pendulum swung higher and higher I could hear a woman screaming and screaming near me and thought yep, that's how I feel too.  And then I realized the sound was coming from me!  As the day progressed I got much braver, pat on the back for me.  I still can't get over how brave Tristan and Ava were!  Sebastian on the other hand...


This little balloon ride started out so well.  We went up, we went down, we were very happy.  All was well.  And then the balloon started to spin... And I spent the rest of the ride trying to calm Sebastian down while strong-arming the little disc in the centre in an effort to keep the balloon from spinning.  It's incredibly difficult to be soothing when you're gritting your teeth.  I think the only ride that didn't end it tears was this one: 


Along its track is a speed sign that says Alberta 1 1/2.  As in Kilometres per hour.  So much more his speed than say, the kiddie roller coaster.   After which he refused to go on anymore rides.  This is him and Tristan before it started.


I so wish I had gotten a picture of his face after the ride was over... Is it bad that Hugh and I laughed?

6 comments:

  1. Awesome!!!! and too funny! What a fun adventure...you should all do it again, with MIR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at the pics of the rides makes me want to barf!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, is it bad that I laughed all through this?

    I feel your pain. Remember my space needle adventure? I hate height and speed. Together, it is not a good thing.

    I love your head gear, my fashionable friend. Can you do a tutorial on how you created that? I think I could rock that on the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too Tanya, me too. I actually felt something rise in my stomach a little when I looked at the boat pendulum thing. *Shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahahaha! I remember the first time my kids went on rides and i was freaking out for them but they ended up loving it too! I hate roller coaster so I understand the tears.
    I'm with Kari, a tutorial please. Ever since I watched Save the Last Dance I've been trying to wrap a scarf with no success. It's been how many years since that movie has come out? PLEASE SHOW US!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we used to live in Cochrane- and one a rainy days in the summer my friends and I would go to Calaway Park and ride all the rides over and over and over again, because there were no line-ups. I remember the Sip that swings back and forth...we rode that 14xs in a row! It was gr.8 and there were boys to impress...obviously ;)

    ReplyDelete