Sunday, October 22, 2006

In which Ava learns a valuable life lesson

Today Ava brought me her pair of pink sparkly ballet flats.

"Shoes on mama?"

"Sure I can put those on for you."

I tried putting them on. Remember when the ugly stepsisters tried jamming their gargantuan feet into the itsy bitsy oh so dainty glass slipper?

"Uh-Oh honey, I think your feet grew. They don't fit anymore."

I passed the shoe back to Ava and she promptly passed it back to me.

"Yes fit mama."

"No Ava they don't fit."

"YES FIT MAMA."

So I shoved. And I shoved and I shoved and I shoved. I do not now how my normally pain intolerant daughter managed to stand it. I was actually wincing as I was shoving but finally the effort paid off and we sat for a moment to bask in the glory of a really great pair of shoes.

Smiling like the cat who got the cream Ava hopped off my lap and limped away.

That's right. I said limped.

"Ava, do those shoes hurt? Should we take them off?"

"No mama. Shoes fit mama."

I could see her point. The shoes really did make the outfit.

Welcome to womanhood Ava Joy.

5 comments:

  1. Uh oh...looks like it's time for Auntie Michelle to send more sparkly shoes!! Are those size 6??? She's catching up to Cammy...oh NO!!!!! More shoes a comin' Ava...don't worryyyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very valuable lesson to learn! And you're right, those shoes did make the outfit, a very stylish one indeed! Ava is SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Are you serious!!!! I think she's been watching you and Jane a little too closely. She doesn't miss a beat, that one! What a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin's comment sounds forced...I think you davis girls put too much pressure on each other to leave comments...Cute story though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. man o man. i gotta say...I have the coolest niece ever. And in this moment, I am just so proud of her!!
    That is until the day comes where she comes to "Abby's" house to raid my shoe collection....then i might not be so excited to see her jamming her big feet into my jimmy choo's!!

    ReplyDelete