Friday, December 1, 2006

Tis the Season

Hugh works in your average redneck truck shop. Many of them come into the shop the night after a "big game" not just hung over but actually still drunk. Their speech is liberally peppered with f-words and good grammar is what's considered a 4-letter word. My favourite is how they break up words with the f-word where there is just not a nat-f-ing-ural break in the word. There was a time when some of the men pulled their manly parts into shapes like the "batwing" or the "goat" and tried to surprise each other into looking. I am happy to say Hugh has refrained from joining in the fun of that game. At least as far as I know...

Next friday, a week from today is Hugh's staff Christmas party. Apparently it gets pretty wild. One year at the Christmas party a Foreman went home with the wife of a Parts Guy. Another year somebody thought it would be a good idea to light fireworks. That's always nice for the holidays. Of course it's better when the fireworks are an outdoor display. The Christmas party is no longer held at that particular hotel.

To be honest I'm not really looking forward to going. I know that I am generalizing about rednecks here and I know some of them and their wives will be great. But what on earth am I going to have in common with the couples who think UFC and a box of wine (so much more romantic than a 6-pack) is a good date night?

The other thought that is bringing me a little stress is the ever important question of what to wear. The party is a dinner and dance at a hotel banquet room so I assume it's sort of dressy. But you never know how people are going to interpret dressy. If I get all glammed up and discover everyone else thought dressy meant trashy Mariposa that's one thing. But what if I show up all glammed out and discover that everyone bought their outfits at the John Deere store in the mall? In case you're wondering if you read that right let me assure you it's true. John Deere, synonymous with farm equipment, has a clothing line. Who knew? On the other hand if they do buy their "dress flannels" at John Deere I don't exactly want to blend in. That tractor green really does nothing for me.

In a situation like this there's really only one thing to do. Start with a martini.

11 comments:

  1. LOLOL! That is too funny.

    My mom had the same concern when she and my step-dad had to go to their first military christmas party soon after they moved to Alberta. Unfortunately, what she experienced was exactly how you put it. The women DID show up in Mariposa-wear and the men showed up in their dressiest black jeans and COWBOY HATS! Yes. cowboy hats. Oh and boots to match. But hey, what suits your fancy. Right?

    Good luck. I"m sure you'll look great in whatever you wear. Hope you fill us in on the the night. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should dress nice and make Hughie just wear a jock strap. Now that would be funny and you would be the life of the party.

    By the way at our work Christmas party (Church Christmas Banquet). The MC got Gin and I up there to dance...everyone loved it until I started to shake my booty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a;dklsfja;sdlkfja;sdlkjfaskl;d HAHAHAHAHAHA.

    I'm thinking a polaris hat and a 'pleather' jacket for Hugh, and wait...do you have a nice waffle shirt you could wear??

    oh..side note, the BATWING...oh GOSH, I actually pictured that....I think I barfed in my mouth a little bit just then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dita Von Teese was quoted as saying that she has achieved her goal when going to a function if she is considered over dressed. I say go for it and who cares what the rest of them are wearing. You should have seen me at Mark's sisters wedding in October. Let's just say that I looked a bit Jackie O-esque and there were animal heads on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is Hugh???

    What about an update on HIS life.


    CHchCHchCHchCHICK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a great Idea!!!
    Why don't you both just show up naked... That will fix everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how I know exactly what you mean when you say "trashy Mariposa". Maybe you and Hugh should do role reversal, you know, he can wear the dress kinda idea... that'll really shake things up.
    Of course you'd probably better have that martini first, just to have a valid excuse for your weird behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jaime Lauren PhotographyDecember 8, 2006 at 1:22 PM

    Heather! I love your writing...I've pretty much wet my pants just reviewing your blog entries! Oh and about the parTAY...I say when all else fails, make like a documentary photographer and whip out the camera. Heck you'll amuse your faithful blog readers AND hit it off with the locals, all while 'hiding' behind the lens! Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  9. can't wait to hear what happens this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Jaime so great to hear from you! If you check back and read these comments can you leave me an email address for you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jaime Lauren PhotographyDecember 20, 2006 at 2:52 PM

    Hey Heather! My email is jlsummer_2000@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you sometime and it'd be great to catch up! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete