Thursday, November 23, 2006

I suspect that this is just the beginning

Last Thursday at our multiples club playgroup Tristan was climbing on some large crash-pad-like things and fell. Being the exceptional mom I am I was too busy talking to some of the other moms and didn't actually see what happened. I did react to the blood curdling scream. When I picked Tristan up his nose was bleeding a bit but I couldn't really see anything so wrong that it called for the "mom I'm seriously in pain here" kind of cry.

We went home. The kids had a nap. They woke up. (Thrilling isn't it? Oh the life of a stay at home mom.) Tristan's eye was black and his nose was so swollen across the bridge that his eye was being pulled funny. Again being the exceptional mom that I am I thought wow he really fell hard. I sure wish I had seen what happened. And then we went on with our weekend.

It wasn't until Monday that I finally googled the symptoms of a broken nose.
  • Nose bled at time of injury. Check.
  • Nose swells into the eye. Check.
  • Swelling doesn't go down within 24 hours. Check.
  • May sound congested or have trouble breathing. Check.

Oh Lord.

So Tuesday morning we took him to emergency to get x-rays and surprise! it's broken. Do you know what is so fun to do? Take 2 two year olds and sit in a waiting room for hours on end and after playing with all the toys and eating all the fruit and crackers you brought and exhausting every children's song you know let them have juice to stave off the boredom. Then move to a little room with no toys and wait for more hours while the two year olds literally bounce up and down and almost literally try climbing the walls because the unfamiliar substance of sugar is coursing through their little bodies like crack. Then, try to get the hurt two year old to sit still for an x-ray when he's tired because it's nap time and he's cranky because he's just come off his sugar high. THEN go back to little room with no toys and wait some more so you can be told it was a clean break and will heal on it's own. Super.

I didn't think to take a picture until a few days after the injury so it's not nearly as dramatic as it looked the first day or so but you get the idea.

8 comments:

  1. oh poor Tristan. That looks like it hurts. He looks so brave though, like it doesn't hurt anymore.

    I remember when we had to get a cast for Asia's arm after she broke it. Not fun. I hope his nose heals up soon.

    P.S Even with the bruise he's still a cutie patootie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you got the first broken bone out of the way. I'm sure that there will be many more to come. Here's to boys being boys! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Finally a blog about Tristan. I was getting concerned that he was the forgotten twin! It's sad that it has to be about a broken nose. I'm glad everything will be alright and that he will heal up. Far too cute of a kid to have a crooked nose at 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Tristan made it through this whole ordeal. He is one tough little guy! Hugs and Kisses from the Meiers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - you are a great mom. Don't feel bad that you didn't see the accident or took him to the hospital late.
    When I was a toddler I fell & broke my leg. I cried alot & limped around but my Mom just thought I was "faking it". After a month of me limping around she finally brought me to the hospital. Sure enough - I had broken my leg.
    I still love my mom today...

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWWWW!!!! My poor little nephew!!!!! But isn't he just a doll, broken nose and all!
    Love you, miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok..first off...LOL about Trevor's comment...wow...FAKING IT???

    Anyway, he's such a heartbreaker...get it...BREAKER????

    Sorry, the puns are usually reserved for Mark dehoog....

    ReplyDelete
  8. nothing you can't cover up with a little MAC makeup. See f Kim DeHoog can float you some samples. If Elton John is endorsing MAC they must have some good masculine makup.

    ReplyDelete