Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Not about to quit my day job

Our DVD player broke. We bought it for $30 a year ago so we figure we got our money's worth but it has been highly inconvenient for me during my current O.C. obsession. Since Hugh made me promise I would not inflict this obsession on him I asked him to set up our DVD player and an old tv in our bedroom. As a rule of thumb I am dead against a tv in the bedroom but all normal rules have been suspended for The O.C. Anyway our nightly routine after the kids have gone to bed has been for me to disappear upstairs to watch The O.C. in bed while Hugh takes over the main floor studying for his final apprenticeship exam, playing x-box "when he just can't study anymore" and immersing himself in March Madness basketball which I made Hugh promise not to inflict on me. It was all working perfectly until our DVD player broke.

Technically I could use the xbox and main floor tv to watch The O.C. but that means breaking the first commandment "thou shalt not inflict The O.C. on thy unwilling husband" and seriously cutting into all the "studying" and March Madness watching that he is doing. In the spirit of compromise I pulled out the laptop and cuddled up next to Hugh on the couch to watch a couple of episodes. I thought he should be grateful that I wasn't taking over the main tv and I had headphones on so he wouldn't have to hear it. But apparently silent wasn't quiet enough for him to study and the moving picture kept distracting him and he almost watched for a minute so I was banished back up to our bedroom. After pouting slightly Hugh offered to set the laptop up for me while I changed into my jammies so I didn't have to waste any of my precious O.C. watching time. He grabbed the headphones for me even though I was going to be upstairs and when I protested because how can he possibly hear it when we're separated by an entire floor? he said, "trust me the sound is way better with the headphones." Fine, whatever. I snuggled under my blankets and put on the headphones and as the theme song played I thought the sound really is better with the headphones.

Several hours and three or four episodes later Hugh walked into our bedroom carrying a glass of water. He glanced at me, walked to his side of the bed, put his water glass down, looked back at me again and said "you know those headphones work better when they're plugged in."

8 comments:

  1. You totally just caused me to close my eyes, and shake my head back and forth after reading this blog. You crack me up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh Heather - totally sounds like something I'd do!
    I just finished the O.C. this past year. There are days when I wish I hadn't watched it, just for the thrill of experiencing it for the first time all over again! I managed to get Trevor a bit hooked though - He knows all the characters & loves the theme song!
    $30 DVD player... if you're like us you bought it at Canadian Tire. After our $30 machine broke, we brought it back to Canadian Tire (without the receipt) & they gave us a new one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL-sounds like something I would totally do.
    As for O.C I just can not get into it. My guilty pleasure is The Hills-it's about the same isn't it?!?!

    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heehee... very nice Heather!! You make me giggle...

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

    Classic Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha... ah. I don't check your blog all day and come back to find you have FIVE comments already. Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats priceless. Thanks for the good laugh. I just got caught up in Brothers and Sisters. I just finshed season 1 and waiting for season 2 to come out on dvd. I will definilty have to move on to the O.C. seeing as you all seem to love it I am sure I will too.
    Thanks for bringing some laughter into my day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

    Seriously... laugh out loud funny.

    ReplyDelete