Friday, August 15, 2008

I may not be an Olympic athlete but...

We've been watching the Olympics with our kids.
They loved the Opening Ceremonies - Ava loved the drummers and kept asking if we could just watch that and Tristan spent almost every moment between each section of fireworks asking when the next ones were coming. So we really enjoyed it....

As for the events, they love the diving and think every replay is a new dive, could care less about the gymnastics unless the people are falling off things and can't tell the difference between the men and the women in the swimming.

The other day I pointed out that there was a Canadian in the swimming so we should cheer for him because we're Canadians to which my kids responded, "NO! NO! We live in Medicine Hat!" This prompted a discussion on country which is not as easy as it sounds when your kids think the house they live in is Medicine Hat. I'm not sure where we are in our local Starbucks drive-through but as my kids have very passionately argued, it is NOT MEDICINE HAT! I'm still working on my arguements for that so I kept it simple, Medicine Hat is a city in the country of Canada (I wasn't touching provinces or territories with a 10 foot pole!) and therefore we are Canadians. The end. Because I said so. I dare you to argue.
After pondering that idea for awhile Tristan looked and me and said, "Mom, you are a fabulous Canadian."

4 comments:

  1. Wow we just had the city, province, country talk. If you want to call it a talk. Still don't they quite understand it they do know that people live in different city's. Let a lone province and country's!

    Hope you are having a great summer!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we have all our provinces memorized, capitals and all.

    Ok, Calvin and I do, but we're working on the kids.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go watching the Olympics.
    Rah rah Canada.

    Just because your last name is Beaver doesn't mean you have to be a swimmer. Isn't there a guy on the Canadian team named Beaver?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun age. We too are watching the olympics and it's neat to see our kids getting so into it!!!

    ReplyDelete