Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Drum roll please....

Hugh is officially employed!

We got a call the other day and our call display read GOC Dept Natl Def. My flight or fight gear immediately kicked in while I frantically tried to think of some sort of offense we may have committed for the Department of National Defence to be calling. Then I remembered that Hugh was expecting a call back from the Army Base where he had interviewed a few days earlier. Right. Army Base, DND...got it. Why is my immediate response to authority to freak out? I can't remember ever being called to the principals office because I was in trouble so it's not like I have a response based on my history. The same thing happens to me when I'm out driving and see a police car; I immediately slam on my brakes whether I need to or not. I can't control it, it's become a reflex. I know I'm not speeding (too many photo radar traps here) and yet I still slam on my brakes, I can't stop myself.

Anyway, Hugh has been hired by the British side of Base, and no he doesn't have to enlist. He's hired as a civilian to fix all sorts of big armoured vehicles. When he went out for the interview he was stopped while 3 big tanks went rumbling by and everywhere he looked he saw fatigues and soldiers saluting. He said it was like being on the set of a movie and that at the end of the interview he almost felt like he should salute though he managed to restrain himself. Thankfully.

So there you have it. Our golden summer has officially ended. It has been an incredible gift to get to spend an entire summer together. For the first time since our twins were born I feel like I have regained my equilibrium. I am physically rested, my emotional reserves are full and I am going into this Fall with high hopes for patience, creativity and spontaneity with the kids. Although I did just press my shoulder blades together and roll my neck while taking deep breaths because we just finished breakfast and Ava is already asking for a snack and I just want 5 uninterrupted minutes to write....

7 comments:

  1. OMG YEAH!!!! I am so so happy for you and your family! The post almost brought tears to my eyes. Not as many as Meli and her crafts from her new school!

    Congrat's to Hugh...hope he enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA, the end of that post cracked me up. I am so happy you got a couple months to rest up!

    And praise God that Hugh has work again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats (H x2)+twins+baby....since when do you rock mathematical equations anyways? stuff that works?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...

    Mrs. Cyr...this is a matter of national security....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!!!! That is great news! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats so great. what kind of hours will he be working? how far of a commute is it going to be for him.
    I am SOOOO with you on the need for just 5 mins of ME time. I told Dawson the other day if he didn't leave me alone for a few mins my head would explode and he would have to clean it up before he could go outside and play

    ReplyDelete
  7. THATS A HUGE (Hugh) DEAL!!!! (sorry i couldn't help myslef)
    CONGRATS. I hear jobs at the base are a really great gig. I'm so glad that you had a restful summer and NOW bring home the bacon big papa!

    ReplyDelete