Monday, February 15, 2010

Landscape of a Dream

Well Canucks?  Are you feeling patriotic?  I am.

I know there has been a lot of controversy surrounding the Games of Vancouver 2010.  There have been complaints and protests about the taxpayers dollars and the $177 million that went into a training initiative for our athletes. I get that. But on the other hand if you were able to attend any of the torch relay celebrations as the torch crossed our country you stood madly waving little red flags, cheering at the top of your lungs, in a sea of people, whose hearts were all united behind one idea: Canada.  Our home and native land. In the words of Shane Koyczan, "an experiment gone right." I think more than a sea-to-sky highway, more than better transit and sport facilities in Vancouver, more than exposure to the world, what the Olympics is doing is bringing us together and helping us define our nation.

As Canadians we are often criticized for being unpatriotic, especially compared to our American counterparts.  We rarely sing our anthem at the top of our lungs, we criticize our military, Canada Day Celebrations and voting booths are poorly attended.  Although we are united under the red and white maple leaf we are more like a collection of sovereign states that happen to be geographically near each other than a unified whole.

Americans pledge "one people under God, indivisible." The Separatists have taught us that our unification even after 142 years is still fragile, uncertain.  Having spent most of my childhood in the Yukon and then my teenage years in BC I feel absolutely no connection to the East.  Eavesdropping on the adults at parties meant I heard many a conversation that perhaps BC should follow Quebec's lead.  The Celtic traditions of the Maritimes is a foreign concept for a kid who grew up with drumming circles, school potlatches and field trips to totem poles.

I feel as Canadians that we have struggled with our national identity and how to bring our disparate and diverse parts together into a strong and unified whole.  I thought the Opening Ceremonies did a great job of being Canadian in all it's facets.  And I thought it spoke beautifully of our connection with the physical elements of our land and how the elements have shaped us as a nation and as individuals. It was a feast for the eyes. It stirred my spirit.  It made me proud of this nation that I love, proud to be Canadian.  And you can't put a price on that.

You can't put a price on unity.  You can't put a price on national pride.  Because when we are proud of our country we care what happens to it.  We vote.  We volunteer.  We raise children who are convinced they can contribute and make their country a better place.  This is not about Vancouver 2010.  This is about Canada.   The true north strong and free.

And yes, we say zed, not zee.

4 comments:

  1. It really is something, isn't it, to have your heart stirred and to feel patriotic.

    I feel proud too. And excited that maybe things will be a little bit different from now on.

    But if all else fails, the Molson Canadian commercials will always hold a special place in my heart. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA BILLIE!

    I loved this post..it's everything I wanted to say but with good grammar and spelling.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am feeling very proud and patriotic. Love the new blog layout and look...miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete