Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Caution: Adventure Ahead

2 diapers
Package of travel wipes
Grocery receipts from the last three grocery shops.
Chiro & Physio receipts
Dentist receipt
Half of a granola bar out of it's wrapper.
A full granola bar in it's wrapper.
A ripped granola bar wrapper.
Ziploc bag of raisins & cheerios.
2 pairs of driving gloves.
1 broken candy cane.
1 bracelet made of beads on a pipe cleaner.
1 plastic dinosaur.
1 plastic farmer.
1 plastic mother.
1 sparkly pink hair barrett.
1 Hot Wheels car.
1 Movie stub to Valentine's Day. 
1 unsharpened pencil, red with white hearts.
1 rock, gift from my son.
1 used kleenex.
1 appointment card for a chiro appointment I had March 8th.
1 half-eaten Aero bar, which is about to become fully eaten.
1 toothbrush still in the package from my last dentist appointment.
1 container of floss, see above.
1 set of house/car keys.

That is literally what I just took out of my purse.  The concept of being able to tell a lot about a woman by what is in her purse isn't new but it sure is true! That list above is the purse of a mom with young children who is slightly less organized than she would like to be, who is physically not in great shape, (see chiro & physio receipts), and who never changes out her purses, just adding layers to the one she's using.

So why did I decide to empty out my purse today?  I'M GOING ON HOLIDAYS! My baby sister had a baby in January and I haven't met my nephew yet.  What with two Grandmothers, the Olympics, and my other sister's sets (say that three times fast!) of days off we decided this was the best time to come. The countdown is finally over.  Tomorrow morning I am flying to Vancouver.  By. My. Self.  I will spend one entire week adoring baby Felix, sleeping in, going for coffee, shopping and visiting two of the best sisters in the universe.  By. My. Self.  If this is a dream please don't pinch me!

It is only fitting that my purse now reflect my current status: woman on holidays!
Cell phone
Camera
Wallet
Folding enviro bag
3 Lipglosses
Purell (can't quite leave the "mom" behind).
Sunglasses
Eye glasses
Book for the plane (The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morten) which I bought at Costco because it was cheap and thick. 
1 pen
1 pink paisley notebook in case I am seized by a sudden urge to write lists.  This happens frequently.
A mini swiss army knife which I will pack in my suitcase before I head to the airport so as not to be confused with actual terrorists.
Print-out of my e-ticket.

So that's it.  I'm ready to go.  Let us not say good-bye but as the French have it, Au Revoir!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't help grinning at this, because I am sure we were separated at birth! Your list is eerily similar to mine.

    I also add more and more to my purses, instead of changing them out, until it looks like I walk into people's homes, sneak into their bathroom and empty their trash can into my handbag....which I don't do. Nope, it's just the purse of a mom, like you said.

    I love that you will eat the rest of that chocolate bar. I would too. I don't care how long it's been in there.

    Have a fabulous time in Vancouver! It sounds absolutely perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Kari. Although... I don't carry a purse. I have a wallet and I have a really great purse that Jeremy bought for me (that I hinted at) but I just can't fill it enough to justify carrying it. I use a brown/white flower diaper bag so most stuff gets chucked into that.

    Also... is that a real live picture of your purse? Because if it is... I want that piece of furniture it's sitting on!

    Have a great time in Vancouver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a real live picture of my purse, and Billie that's the hutch we refinished! I've been meaning to post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SAWEET job on the Hutch Heath! Can't wait to see it in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Hope you had a fabu time in YVR!

    ReplyDelete