Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's called ClMATE CHANGE!

If one more person says, "so much for global warming..." I think I might scream.

Here's what it has been doing for three days. The last three days.



It's May. It's not the dead of winter. Supposedly.

The video finished uploading and I just checked it. Uh... anti-climactic much? I'll spell it out for you. It has been snowing non-stop for three days. The day I took that video the wind was blowing so hard (I think we had up to 100km/hr winds) I couldn't keep my camera steady. The snow is coming down horizontally in big gusts. Yuck.

I kept the kids home from Preschool on Tuesday because I couldn't bear the thought of going out in that weather. Instead we baked cookies and watched movies under cozy blankets. This is the part where I admit to a shameful like of Barbie movies. To be fair to Tristan we also watched Race To Witch Mountain while Sebastian napped in the afternoon. Here's what I don't get. Tristan can eagerly watch a movie about Government men and an alien assassin chasing down alien kids. The movie has guns and explosions and adult bad guys and he's completely fine but suggest watching Tinkerbell? He is so scared of the cartoon eagle in that movie he literally shakes with fear if Ava wants to watch it. And also, he had to leave the room when the bad Mer-lady of Barbie: A Mermaids Tail, fell into the whirlpool she had created for Barbie. Barbie, who in this movie went by the name Merleah was, of course, able to escape by claiming her Mer-heritage and being all brave and full of character and stuff. Sorry for the spoiler.

Anyway.

It is not completely unusual for us to have a random day of snow in the Spring. Last year we had a day in June but it melted as it fell and certainly didn't last more than one day. Like I said, we are now on day three. The wind has calmed down but the snow has not paused once. Not a lunch break, not a coffee break, not even an Alberta smoke break! It is obviously not unionized. I took the kids to the library yesterday and came home with 28 kids books. When this snow will stop is anybody's guess. At least I'll be prepared.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Heather, my stomach actually sank while watching that video. The thought of being house bound by snow makes me want to scream.

    Do you think it would take a martini break? At least then it would stop looking like the ugly blind date snow and look like the sexy movie star snow. How many martini breaks would it take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isnt it interesting the things in movies that scare kids that us adult dont quite understand. my kids have had the same kind of situations where certain movies you would think are totally kid friendly have 1 or 2 things in it that scares 1 or both of your kids. We had had many "family" movie times where one kid is watching a movie downstairs while the other is upstairs watching one that doesn't scare them..haha

    So sorry for that dreadful snow that is falling...you can always come for a visit to Vancouver Island and enjoy the sunshine and blossoming flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Barbie movies. They are so awesome.
    I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit watching that clip. I'm with Kari- martini breaks sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes,,,,it twas the same 9 houses down >>> i still love having an excuse to hibernate and have always lved where we endured these lovely may downpours so I don't know any better....i do however love martinis...do call if one appears:)

    ReplyDelete