Thursday, May 27, 2010

Me or Them?

It's raining today and feels like it should be a movie day.  Too bad my kids aren't interested in Pride & Prejudice. A good five hours of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy with some scones and tea under a cozy blanket feels like an absolutely perfect way to spend a grey day when Hugh is working until 9:00pm.  I'm having a dilemma in my head right now about whether or not to let the kids watch movies downstairs so I can indulge this whim of mine.

The part of me that wants to be Mom of the Year says no it's definitely not okay to let the kids watch hours of movies today, thereby neglecting them and rotting their brains.  We should bake cookies together, read stories, do a craft and finish up with some sort of object lesson that will grow their character and make them stronger, wiser, more independent, adults.  After I make them dinner with the vegetables out of my garden, the herbs from my window pots and the poultry in my backyard. 

On the other hand:
1. If we make cookies I will eat them all, and I really can't afford to eat them all. 
2. We've read all our library books and I canNOT read Fox in Sox one more time. 
3. I let the kids paint yesterday so that counts as craft right?  
4. I did an object lesson two weeks ago.  One or two a month is probably enough don't you think? Otherwise what will they have to talk about in therapy?
5. I don't have a vegetable garden or chickens.  Fresh mint for a mojito?  Yes.  Free range chickens and millions of zucchini's? No. In our house we just have old-fashioned water-plumped chicken and pesticide-soaked veggies from the box store.

So, Pride & Prejudice? The weather forecast says it is supposed to rain for three days.  I can always be Mom of the Year tomorrow, right? 

If only I wasn't tortured by Momma guilt...

2 comments:

  1. HA!
    SO??????????????

    Did you watch it????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that day sounds perfect. I so hope that you watched it.

    ReplyDelete