Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The Joys of Single Parenting

As of January 1st I reprised my role as a resident of the Okanagan. In this role I am a reckless recycler, GST complainer, and all about fuel economy. (Have you seen the price of gas here?) I am also a single parent. For the next 2 months Hugh will be living the carefree life of a student while I try to wait until 5:00 to start drinking.

Hugh has to do 2 months of schooling at SAIT for his heavy duty mechanics apprenticeship in Calgary. Since Jane will also be gone, having accepted an au pair position in Italy, I decided to crash in the Okanagan and get some good visiting time in with family (both sets of Grandparents and Hugh's brother's family) and friends.

So Hugh will get 2 months of sleeping in on weekends and having all sorts of time to do whatever the heck he wants while I get to be mother and father in unrelieved bliss. I'm not at all envious. I don't clench my fists everytime I think of it and I certainly don't want to poke Hugh's eyes out.

It doesn't help that the last 2 days have been, um, difficult. Yesterday the kids didn't say anything that wasn't a whine the entire day. In the hopes of a good distraction from whining I bundled the kids into their snow suits to go for a walk. It is amazing how much torture you can fit into 100 feet. My parents live in the middle of a block. By the time we reached the end Tristan had fallen into the snow and got his hands wet. Apparently snow on exposed skin = death and destruction. Moments after Tristan started screaming Ava was clotheslined by the dogs leash and was flat on her back in the snow, also screaming. At this point the Garbage truck drove by and Bentley (my parents dog) went nuts. Are you there God? It's me, Heather...

The day before I looked at the clock thinking it was close to 5:00. 5:00 means only 2 hours until bedtime and with supper inbetween the time flies. I like 5:00. I was hoping, thinking, praying that it was 5:00. It was 3:15. I honestly thought that day was never going to end.

But today is a better day. I'm not drinking Bailey's in my hot chocolate alone at 1:00 in the afternoon today so right there you have to know things are looking up. Right now the kids are asleep and I'm about to make myself a cup of tea and curl up with Stuart Mclean's newest Vinyl Cafe Book which I was reading in bed last night and laughing so hard I had to smother my face in my pillow so I didn't wake anyone up.

Hopefully I'll get to see some of you while I'm in the Okangan.

13 comments:

  1. Heather, it was so nice to chat with you today on the phone. It was nice to catch up in person. I am glad you guys are doing well. I will pray for you as you do this single parent adventure..welcome to the club! It isn't easy and I feel for those who don't have an end in sight like we do. Keep your chin up and the 2 months will be over before you know it.

    p.s. I LOVE Stuart Mclean's Vinyl Cafe I listen to him on tape when I drive...so funny..hard to consentrate on driving sometimes...I will have to get the book and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying that these next couple of months go by fast for you all. Really fast.

    We'll be coming to Kelowna in the begininng of Feb. for Mykah's birthday. If you're still there I would love to get together with you. Let me know.

    Have you tried Baileys and Egg Nog? That hot chocolate drink sounds yummy! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what else works? Starbuck liquor and coffee....YUMMMMMMMM......

    I so know how you are feeling...even though Calvin is home, the stretch to 4 pm when he wakes up sometimes feels like forever!!!

    Love you friend of my heart....
    I'm praying for a money miracle so you can fly up here and stay with me for 2 weeks....I'd be lots of help and the days would go by SO fast.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shut up, Starbucks makes liquor??? The hunt now begins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES THEY DO!!! We saw it at the liquor store and I must say, it went pretty fast, then BLESS THEIR HEARTS...Liz and Kyle gave us a bottle when they were staying here. Calvin figures if you put it in your morning coffee, that's totally fine since 'Starbucks' is on the label...it must be ok!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, I'm loving your stories. I can just see the look on your face when I'm reading these. Keep 'em coming!
    If it matters in your world, it's news for BC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey... I work at Starbucks now. Maybe if you tell me whatever the HECK this liquor is I can get it at 30% off!!!

    Hey Heather, leave Bart and Maggie with the grandpeeps and come down for a visit. Don't you have a sister down here?? I can get you that breve thingy you like real cheap ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES!! I agress with Paul, come down here for a visit. PLEEEEEASE?!?!

    Paul - Can you seriously hook me up with some Starbuck goodies -a.k.a liquour?!?! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul & Simone I'm actually working on a coming down to visit my sister sometime in Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "on a"??? What the heck was that? Apparently you can take the girl out of Alberta but you can't take the Alberta out of the girl. I'll definitely be looking you guys up (and not just for cheap starbucks although don't get me wrong that's a definite plus)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you can only buy the starbucks liquor at the liquor store...seriously, it's THE BOMB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only did your post make me laugh and completely commiserate, but the comments had me laughing just as hard. Just when I was thinking that maybe I wasn't cut out for this parenting thing, I read your rantings and was reminded, "Thank you God. I'm not alone!". Hope we get to see you while your in BC. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jaime Lauren PhotographyJanuary 10, 2007 at 11:03 AM

    Heather,

    if you ever want to get away to Vancouver for the weekend and were able to find someone to take the kids, you'd be more than welcome to visit my engaged sister & i! and I think stace would love to come too if it was a Friday afternoon thru sunday!

    ReplyDelete