Thursday, May 3, 2007

Lost in Translation

A couple of years ago I was in Fresno, California on a fruit picking/sorting missions-type trip. It was an organization called The Gleaners and at this base they dry fruit to send overseas to impoverished third-world countries. The days were very long and we worked incredibly hard in the hot hot humid sun. We were always very thankful for the end of the day which meant a dip in the pool on the base and the possiblity of getting into town to do some shopping.

In this area of California there is a huge population base of spanish-speaking people. On one of these town excursions I was in Payless with a friend who was trying out her newly acquired Spanish phrases and confidently greeting everyone with a cheery "Gwenas Dias!".

I'm sorry. Did you just say Gwenas??

Hugh and I will be arriving in Mexico this Saturday and spending a blissful kid-free week in the sun and everytime I say Buenos dias to someone you can bet I'll be thinking of dear old Gwen!

3 comments:

  1. So you finally were able to finalize a trip. I am so excited. whatever happened with the whole passport thing? I know that was stressing you out. I will be thinking of you next week as you lay on the beaches and soak up the sun as I am sure the only thing that will be soaked here is me from all this rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....Ah...I know only too well who that 'friend' is...all I can say is, have some 'THE GLACE' in Me-HE-ko for me (Thank you Alex Trebek)....

    Chat soon...

    Oh...Rebecca...you don't need a passport if you fly directy to Mexico...I heard that and then told Heather, so that's why they are going there!!! (yes, yes, I do have all the good ideas...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time! A wise man once told me that it's important for any marriage to get away somewhere together once a year ideally. I'm good with that! Don't forget your SPF 45. You don't want to bring on the wrinkles with the sun damage.

    ReplyDelete