Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why I would like time to stop

Over the years I have noticed that each of my friends when their children approach school age ask themselves if they should homeschool. These same friends all went through public schools themselves and talked about public schools when their children were babies and backpacks and No. 10 pencils seemed like a star in another galaxy when daily life revolved around eating schedules, diaper changes and tantrums.

But as the star in that other galaxy drew closer these moms looked at the sweet, shining faces of their children, remembered some of their own not-so-great elementary school experiences, pictured the real world hitting like a large bucket of ice water dumped on their heads, and wondered if perhaps homeschooling wasn't such a bad idea after all.

I was a few years behind most of my close friends and I heard the agony of separation in those conversations without fully understanding. Well, now it's my turn. Our twins did not start Kindergarten this year. They could have, they turned five in the early Fall, and in fact most people assumed we would send them this year, but we chose not to. Firstly, our city only offers a full-day Kindergarten program and up until a couple of weeks ago they still napped for 2 or 3 hours everyday and in fact have fallen asleep on the couch while I write this. Secondly, the proverbial "They" recommend boys start school at the age of six. They recommend this for many reasons, one being "They" did a study and found that the language area in the brain of a five-year-old boy looks the same as a three-and-a-half-year-old girl. Boys brains develop at a different rate and trajectory and that extra year makes a big difference. And thirdly, I didn't think the kids were ready for school. They have a later birthday and waiting a year means they'll be that much bigger and that much more emotionally mature and I want them to have every advantage available to them to make it in the rough and sometimes cruel world of the playground. But mostly, I just wasn't ready to let them go.

This week I was a parent helper on a field trip the kids took with their playschool. One of the things we do as a family is clap every time we go underneath a bridge. Well, I was partners with my kids and another boy (who I will call X) and on the way there we clapped while X ducked his head, which is what his family does. An interesting thing happened on the way home. At the first bridge X, Ava and I clapped and Tristan ducked his head. At the second bridge, Ava and I clapped and X and Tristan ducked their heads. At the third bridge, I clapped alone while all three ducked their heads. As I looked at my head-ducking children sitting on bus seats twice as tall as them, legs stuck straight out and barely hitting the seat ahead, I felt inexpressibly sad.
This is why I'm not ready to let go yet.

How do you explain to a barely-five-year-old about peer pressure and knowing yourself and liking yourself well enough to not follow the crowd? How do you encourage your children to be who they are without fear or shame or apology? A day or so later we had a talk about how it's really neat that other families do special things too but that we don't have to change what we do just because someone else does it differently. Ava's response to that was, "But Mom, I don't like clapping anymore."

You know what? Maybe homeschooling isn't such a bad option after all...

3 comments:

  1. OH....
    I so understand that feeling.

    I'm laughing too...because one day, a kids who never thought about clapping will do that and his Mom will be distraught too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, we did not do Kindergarten last year for Sadie either. That is the beauty of life. You don't have to send them to school. They don't need to be registered with the district until the year they turn 6. I loved that we bought ourselves another year. I would have kept Elliott out this year too....being an October baby I really did not think he was ready, but we gave it a try and it's okay. It's only 2 days a week....full days mind you, but just two, so he is home with me more than he is away. I love this. My house is too quiet with all of the kids at school.

    My intent was always to homeschool, but things got a little crazy around the end of last year so Sadie and Elliott are both in school this year. Maybe in a couple of years we will go back to homeschooling. If you do a little digging it is amazing what is available for homeschool familes. It isn't the same as when we were children.

    A couple of my close friends homeschool as well, which was a large part of the reason I had wanted to.

    Anyway, whichever way to go, I think we always make the best choices for our families. I have to say though....I sure had to answer a lot of questions when people found out I didn't put Sadie in Kindergarten last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update! Update!

    (I can bug you because i just wrote a new post too!)

    ReplyDelete