Friday, July 23, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

We're heading out on our summer road trip late this afternoon.  As always it's been a flurry of laundry, packing and cleaning.  I love coming home to a clean house. However not all is smooth sailing. 

Yesterday Tristan went to bed early with a fever, sore throat and a puke bucket because his tummy hurt.  Thankfully we had no middle of the night clean-up calls and I'm hopeful he'll wake up this morning feeling great.  Then last night as I was watching the results show of So You Think You Can Dance I started feeling itchy.  A little behind my knee, my arm, behind my other knee, my stomach, my thighs, back to my knee, back to my stomach back to my arm, other arm, top of my foot, knee, stomach, thighs, thighs, stomach, knee, other knee, stomach.  When I finally looked I saw that I had been scratching at a raised red blotchy rash.  I took some Benadryl, went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night with itchy palms and feet.  Definition of insanity!

After a terrible sleep I woke up very groggy this morning and feeling panicky about the length of our day.  We won't be getting into our half-way point hotel until about 2am tonight and I'm supposed to be all rested up so I can do some of the driving and Hugh can get some sleep after working all day.  As I was getting out of bed I did a sort of body inventory.  My thighs, where the rash was worst, felt sunburned, my eyes were puffy, my head achy and as I stumbled into the bathroom trying to open my eyes I realized one of them wasn't opening.  I looked in the mirror and said, "AAHHHH!" out loud.   It was like that scene from the movie Hitch when Will Smith has that allergic reaction and his eye swells up like a balloon.  I don't know if I'm having an allergic reaction or pink eye or what but I'm still a bit itchy, Ava said my eye looks like vampire eyes and Tristan just came down the stairs burning up with fever.  Good thing I cleaned and packed yesterday since it looks like I'll be spending my time today at the doctor's.

2 comments:

  1. oh man, double whammy with a feverish/pukish kid and your itchy rash. Hope the Dr can determine the cause and get you all on the path to recovery and on your way to your camping trip! Praying for you guys...

    ReplyDelete