Monday, October 18, 2010

6 Degrees of Separation, sort of.

Hi everyone!  Sorry for the little blog hiatus.  My sister, Erin came for a week and then I was rereading Harry Potter.  Need I say more?  I can barely get dressed and feed my children when I'm reading nevermind trying to pull my brain away from Hogwarts long enough to string coherent sentences together.  I do have a few posts up my sleeve though so stick around.

As I said my sister, Erin came to visit for a week.  While she was here we went to go see The Town.  (This is not a movie review.  We enjoyed it.)  If you've seen the movie, or even the previews, you will know it's a movie about a group of bank robbers and how the bank robber falls for the girl they use as a hostage.  At one point during the movie I found myself harking back to Beverly Hills, 90210.

Huh? you say. 
I know.  Stay with me.  

In the good old days of 90210 - not the dismal 90210 of today which I've only seen five minutes of- Donna got herself a stalker or something.  I can't really remember the details, just that there was a guy and he was bad.  This bad guy was at Donna's and he was going to rape her then David knocked on the door.  David and Donna had gotten into a fight earlier in the episode and he had come back to apologize but she wouldn't let him in and just kept telling "Dave" to go away.  He, who was only ever called David, thought the Dave thing was weird so he stormed in with a baseball bat (of course), knocked the guy out and saved Donna.

This episode prompted my 17-year old self and my 15- and 13-year old sisters to come up with our own "danger names".  We couldn't use nicknames we actually called each other by so Jane's, Janie became Jan-ey (rhymes with fanny), Erin was Wren - or as she later became jokingly known, L'il Wren Wren, and I was Helga - something only my Mom ever called me, who knows why.  If we were ever in a situation where say one of us had a stalker who came over to rape us we were supposed to use our danger names.  This would then cue the other sister(s) to GET HELP NOW!  Or at least a baseball bat. Not surprisingly - our small hometown being somewhat low on stalkers - life did not reflect art and we never needed to use our danger names.

I hadn't thought about these names in many years and then Erin and I went to see The Town and, ready for it?  I'm about to finally make the connection between Ben Affleck and David Silver.  We're watching away and (Spoiler alert): we're at a part where it looks like the FBI are finally going to get the robbers and the main girl in the story is on the phone with Ben Affleck's character and she uses a phrase that means something other than what she's saying and it tips him off and he escapes.  Which is when I thought of 90210 and Donna Martin and "Dave" Silver.  It's a totally unrelated, random connection, I know.  That episode of 90210 aired in 1995 and I can't really remember ever thinking about it since.  I was lost in the randomness of my brain processes thinking Erin would get a kick out of it on the car ride home when she leaned over and asked if Helga could pass her some more Nibs.

Would I have made the same connection if I had watched that movie with anyone other than my sister?  Who knows.  What I do know is no one else (with the exception of my other sister) would have taken the same path with me down the rabbit hole.  And isn't that what makes family so special, so unique?  I may be somewhat random, but I'm not alone.

2 comments:

  1. I SO remember that episode of 90210...

    I love sisters for so many reasons....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that episode as well. In fact, a lot of moments in my life I can relay back to an episode of 90210 or Party of Five. TV's awesome like that.

    ReplyDelete