Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My mom didn't teach me that kind of behaviour. Also, Happy Birthday Sebastian!

On the docket while my sister, Erin, was visiting was to get ready for Sebastian's third birthday party.  Being an October baby means that there is always a plethora (Heffy.  Do you know what a plethora is?  Am I the only one who thinks about the The Three Amigos every time she hears the word plethora?) of pumpkin and or Halloween paraphernalia.  What better time of year for a pumpkin party for my little pumpkin?

One of the mornings Tristan and Ava were in school Erin and I dedicated to getting everything I needed for pumpkin-themed goody bags and pumpkin shaped cupcakes.  First stop, Starbucks.  Second stop, dollar store right across from Starbucks.  Wasn't that convenient?  What better way to browse through overwhelming amounts of things made in China than with coffee in hand?  We even got Sebastian a hot chocolate hoping it would keep him happy and occupied while he sat in the cart.  We walked into the dollar store with our drinks and an employee came over to us and told us they had a no food or drinks policy in their store and that we would have to take our coffees outside.  What???  No food or drinks in a dollar store?  I can understand it in a clothing store but even Winners lets you shop with your coffee.  Come on! I was very indignant and I must admit a little rude when I said, "Are you serious?  We can't bring our coffees in here?  Why?  Most stores let you bring drinks in."  And then, just to really get my point across and really make them sorry they had that stupid policy, I said very coldly, "Well. I guess we'll be taking our business elsewhere then."

Which is the exact moment Sebastian dropped his hot chocolate.  While I watched the dark liquid ooze into an ever-widening puddle on the floor I had a revelation.  It is impossible to maintain any kind of self-righteous indignation when you are completely mortified.  Heh heh. Ummm. Right. So, I guess that's why you don't allow drinks. Right. Okay. We'll just go then.

The next dollar store we tried didn't have that same policy so we shopped and sipped and picked up everything I needed for the party.  Somehow, though, it wasn't quite as satisfying as I thought it would be.  Humble pie anyone? 

Here's a picture of the jack o' lantern cakes I made for the party. In theory they're dead easy - just two cupcakes stuck together with icing and then iced all over - but I've never really mastered the art of icing a cake.  The perfectionist in me is cringing that I'm about to show you these but they were made with love and that has to count for something.


Happy Third Birthday Beesh!  There is nothing that makes me smile wider than watching the way you run when you're excited.  It's somewhere between a run and a skip and ends up looking like a prance. It is truly delightful to behold - as are you.  Your joy makes our home a brighter, happier place to be. I feel so blessed that God entrusted you to us.

6 comments:

  1. ok I seriously laughed out loud reading the part about when the hot chocolate hit spilled. i could totally picture the whole exchange between you and the employee. Just to tell you I would have said the same thing to her and I would have equally been humiliated when the drink hit the floor.

    happy birthday Sabestian. I can't believe you are 3 already wowsers, its time like these that make me realize time really does fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! The Three Amigos is EXACTLY what I thought of when you said plethora!

    'Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.'

    I just had to say that.

    Love your hot chocolate story, and glad those kind of things happen to other people too :)

    Happy Birthday to your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's so great. If it's any consolation, they don't allow food or drinks in our Dollar Store either. Apparently there's spill-y talkers in every town. ;) Happy Birthday Sebastian! (And great job on the cupcakes, I know all too well the frustration that comes with perfection!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe, that's funny!

    so when you say you put two cupcakes together, do stack one on top of the other?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! You cut a slice of the tops off and then stick the cut sides together with a skiff of icing.

    ReplyDelete