Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Christmas House Tour

Welcome! 

Come in!  Come in!

I'll take your coat while you turn to your immediate left and step into my living room:

Feel free to wander.
These berry sprays were used on our wedding cake almost 11 years ago.

This is my attempt to make our built-ins more festive:

Feel free to touch the shells.  There's a few already being held together with tape.
  This TV is getting moved downstairs, probably tomorrow, once Hugh finishes building our basement entertainment unit.  What to fill this big huge gaping hole with...?
(The swoopy thing is strands of Capiz Shells, just in case you were dying to know.)

 If you look to the left of our mantle you'll see our family.  The pictures were taken two years ago by my friend Simone but they're my favourite pictures ever so we haven't had new ones taken.  Oh, and the white ball lights up. It's so pretty at night.

 Directly opposite this dresser is our tree:
We've had the same strands of lights for 10 years and last week one of our strands burnt out. If Christmas were perfect we'd be in the movies.  I'm just sayin'...

Come closer: 
Seeing the kids handiwork beside my glass balls and grown up ornaments makes me smile.
 

Really close:
The glass waterfalls are new to my tree this year, a gift from a friend.
  

 We got this Santa as a housewarming gift in our first house.  He's come a long way with us.

Come into the kitchen for some tea.  You'll notice we hang our stockings on our staircase:
We've never hung them on our mantel because Hugh hasn't wanted me to put nail holes in it and we've never had room for stocking hanger things with the tv et al.  I'm thinking I'd like to try to knit some stockings for us next year.

As you take a seat at the island look behind you.  This is me keeping it real. 
My tins of baking are thrown haphazardly on the top of our hutch from getting the teacher gifts ready last night and I haven't touched them since.   The lamp base has been sitting there for months.  I'll get to it eventually.


Alright now come sip your tea while it's hot and let me tell you about Tristan and Ava's first school Christmas Concert.  It was adorable and out of tune and hot in the gym.  The grande finale at the end was The Hallelujah Chorus.  Let me just say it was fitting....

6 comments:

  1. wowsers your house is so beautiful and so grown up looking. I love all the decorations. I aspire to have my house decorated like yours one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, your house is absolutely beautiful-just how I imagined it to be. I have to say I love how full your tree looks with the decorations. What's your secret? I can't ever seem to get "that" look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! You sure know how to make a girl feel good!

    Simone - good question. I've never thought about it. Hmmm... Well, for starters it's a real tree. We've actually always bought ours at the Superstore and they've always been full and always last for the entire month of Dec. And then maybe we just have a ton of decorations? I'm not really sure, all I know is by the time we finish putting on our lights, fabric garland, bead garland and all the berry sprays and flowers and sticky-out-y things we have to cram the rest of our ball ornaments on.

    That probably wasn't helpful at all was it? If I think of anything that might actually be considered a secret I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely, Heather! I love all the live greenery.

    ReplyDelete