Thursday, December 2, 2010

Snippets







I found a small black chandelier with black crystals to hang over the kids play area in the basement.  I tried to find a link for it but apparently it doesn't exist anywhere except in the box in my house. 


  





We got our tree on Tuesday night and now our house smells like Christmas.  Tonight we're going to decorate and I'm going to try to contain my control-freakishness in the midst of three very excited children.













I heard our front door open and close the other night and Sebastian came to me smelling of winter and carrying the cold from outside.  “Mom!” he said.  “It’s winter!  I just checked!” 



 

Ava has a thing with her wrists and ankles.  She rolls up her pants when we’re at home because she doesn’t like feeling her pants brushing against her heels or ankles   She constantly looks like she’s about to go wading.  She also doesn’t like to feel the sleeves of her shirt on her wrists so she rolls those up too.  This has made the process of putting on snow gear rather unbearable.  Every time she’s put on her winter coat she’s cried.  Literally.  And snowpants? When the pants she’s wearing ride up inside and she can feel the elasticized lining on her ankle?  Whoa.


Tristan recently learned how to snap.  The End.
Of my sanity that is.  He worked so hard to learn that he created an unconscious habit.  He gets up from the table after a meal, he snaps.  He heads upstairs to get dressed, he snaps.  He walks towards the bathroom, he snaps.  He reaches for another Ninja Turtle, he snaps.  You ask him a question and while he's thinking about the answer, he snaps.  You tell him something exciting, he snaps.  I sat beside him at dinner the other night and it was a constant snap! snap! snap! in my ear. Oh. my. lord.  This Mama is about to snap!
When we did our baking, Rebecca and I split a quadrupled batch of butter tarts.  Yesterday I realized that in 5 days we’ve gone through half of our double batch and that means I won’t have enough tarts to have one for breakfast everyday between now and New Years.  I already know that I will be starting 2011 like I started 2009.  Just, instead of Burpees you can insert Curves. Today I got an email from Rebecca asking for the recipe.  The butter tarts are disappearing at an alarming rate in her house too.  And she’s not sharing with any kids! Well, I’m not really either.  I keep offering my kids the almond crescents trying to sell them as “moustache cookies”.  It’s not working. I would call those the flop of 2010.  I won’t be making them again.  Today I actually broke down and let my kids each have their own butter tart.  I know.  The generosity is killing me too.  Literally. It’s killing me to share.  Maybe it won’t hurt so much if I have a quadruple batch on hand. 



And this is what my kids are doing right now while I'm writing this.  At their behest I zipped two sleeping bags together so they could make the biggest bed ever, Mom! I wonder how long it will be before someone goes exploring and gets stuck at the bottom.  Did you ever do that as a kid?  It's terrifying.  I'm pretty sure I can trace my adult claustrophobia back to a childhood sleeping bag incident.

8 comments:

  1. I took a look back at your blog posts from years ago and noticed that you posted a lot more pictures- glad to see photos of your beautiful family again.
    Also, my mom and I made butter tarts, and while I had 18 or so of them... I only brought 6 to work to share for a staff meeting because I can't part with them. Ever. Instead, everyone had copious amounts of gingersnaps, shortbread and almond bark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOLOLOL!!!

    Snapping! OH LORD...I remember when Cam learned how to whistle.....

    Awesome update....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids are so darn cute... I have a sleeping bag memory. we would zip our selves in them & roll down our front grass. Sounds like fun, only there was a stinky ditch at the bottom of our yard. I cannot count how many sleeping bags mom must have washed from us landing & getting stuck in the ditch while zipped into the sleeping bags.
    Oh - & I noticed how clean & shiny your floors are Heather!!! They look awesome - Wanna come & clean mine?? I'm also very proud of you for trying your best to damper your control-freakishness about decorating the tree... I know you like to make it perfect! You are a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny it has to be the lighting on my floors because they were so full of "bits" I had to vaccuum them shortly after that pic was taken!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, Heather, I wait for my kids to go to bed to decorate my tree. I justified it this year by buying Ella a little 2 ft tree to put in her room to decorate. It's almost the same thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giving up control on decorating the tree? Just for that I give 3 snaps in a "Z" formation! lol!
    But seriously, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simone that made me laugh out loud too! A) you know me so well and B) I could totally picture your "Z" formation snap face!

    ReplyDelete