Thursday, August 17, 2006

tales of the follicley challenged

I don't get it.

My mom has thick hair. Hugh's mom has thick hair. Hugh has thick hair. I have thick hair. Tristan has thick hair.

Ava has almost no hair.

Tristan has had 3 haircuts. Ava, none. Well I did trim the back a little to remove the birds nest but that was more damage control than real haircut.

A while ago Hugh and I were at Wendy's with the kids and a very sweet little old lady came up to chat. Side note: If you have twins be prepared for everyone you meet to stop you and tell you if they are a twin, have twins in their family, know a twin or always wanted twins. This particular woman fell into the "I-have-twins-in-my-family" category. They were her grandchildren who were all grown up and seeing our kids made her feel reminiscent.

Then, this not-so-sweet old lady looked at our children and asked if they were both boys. We have been asked this question a lot so, typically, when we go out, we try to color code them and on this particular day Ava looked like a big pink gumball. "No," I said without even a hint of the ARGH! I was feeling, "we have a boy and a girl."

Then this horrible old lady said, "Which one is the girl?" With a slightly fixed smile on my face I patiently pointed out the child wearing the cotton candy pink and THEN....

Then this evil old lady said, "Oh I would have thought that was the boy."

%&#^* !!!!!!!!!!! &^%@* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *&%#@ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry Ava, the gene pool has failed you.

This is why it was so exciting to put Ava's hair in pig tails for the first time yesterday. She kept touching her hair, "pony? mirror?" I would hold her up so she could see in the mirror and she would reverently touch her "pony's". It was a sacred moment of girlhood.

Admittedly, there were more than a few wisps of hair on the back of her head that didn't fit into the elastic but, whatever! From the front she looks like a bona fide little girl.

At least I think so.

7 comments:

  1. Well we happen to think she is the most beautiful little girl. Look at those cheeks and that little button nose. Only a few more years and Hugh will have to get out the shot gun...ummm, we mean decades, not years....sorry lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sure does look like a little girl. A beautiful little girl. Shame on that evil lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Ava'a dad. I want the world to know that I think Ava is the most beautiful little girl I have ever laid eyes on. She is my "little princess." Although her beauty may not be apparent to all, it is apparent to a very proud father. I love you Ava and am very proud of you and think you are amazingly beautiful and special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I can totally relate..need I remind you of a little girl who didn't have hair until she was almost FOUR??? We pierced her ears and STILL people asked if she was a boy. Oh and on the stupid people front, we were at Ikea a few weeks ago, and the girls were sitting with Calvin waiting for their 50 cent hot dogs and a lady came up to him and asked if the girls were triplets. HUH? Uh, yeah, we just feed the bigger one more....HELLO???? There is 3.5 years in between Cammy and Laney and I know they look like sisters but c'mon! Actually...quick sidenote story, my Dad's wife (weird) has an identical sister, so at the wedding, my Grandma says 'Oh my! Don't Joanna and Jennifer look so much alike!' So I say, ' Well Grandma, they are IDENTICAL twins!' and to that she says, 'I know but don't they look so similar!' ?!?!?!??!?! 'Yes Grandma, it's uncanny.' SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle- I had the same thing happen to me at Ikea too. I had Asia and Mykah in the double stroller. Asia was just 1 1/2 yrs. old and Mykah was a few months. This lady asked us if they were TWINS!!! I had to laugh at first because I thought she was joking but she was full on serious. DUH lady one is like a newborn and the other one sitting up eating cheerios. I strongly belive it was the same lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever heard the term one clown short of a circus?

    One brick short of a load. Not the brightest blub on the tree. Or the evelator doesn't go all the way to the top.

    Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way that is the cutest picture of Ava I have seen. She is amazing.

    ReplyDelete