Wednesday, July 18, 2007

How Treehouse is ruining my life

My kids are watching Max and Ruby on Treehouse right now so I thought I'd take this little moment to rant about how much I absolutely detest Ruby.

For those of you not stay-at-home-moms (DJ & Erin) Max and Ruby are siblings and the basic premise of the show is that mischevious Max (3 years old) is always getting into things and "ruining" what Ruby (aged 7) wants to do but then sometimes ends up making it better. Ruby is a paragon of virtue and patience and very responsible and I suppose is a good role model of an older sibling. Blah. Blah. Blah. Frankly I find her longsuffering sigh and "Oh Max" extremely irritating. Max is an annoying little brat that never listens.

I saw one episode where Ruby was putting Max to bed. She got his jammies on, tucked him in and then went to her room, crawled into her own bed and started to say an individual "Good night!" to each of the zillions of dolls and animals lining her bed. She was interrupted in the "Good night's" by Max who had up-ended the fishbowl in his room and got soaked. So she changed his jammies, tucked him in and then went to her room and crawled into her own bed and restarted all the "Good nights". This same scenario played out through about 6 changes of Max's pj's until he finally fell asleep.

By the time Ruby had started to say, for the 6th time, "Good night Lilly. Good night Horsey. Good night Molly doll...." my neck had developed a small tic and my left eyelid was twitching uncontrollably. Have I mentioned that Ruby's voice drives me up one wall down the other and off the sanity bridge into crazy river?

Other episodes have included Max wrecking Ruby's play time with her friends, Max needing to wear a raincoat in order to play outside in the rain but taking it off and running outside everytime Ruby turns her back, Max sabatoging Ruby's attempts to get badges for the bunnies world of Brownies or Girl Scouts. Etcetera. Etcetera.

I think part of what makes Ruby so irritating is her neverending patience. When Max has taken off his raincoat for the 10 zillionth time she just "tsks" and says "now Max if we want to go outside in the rain we have to wear a raincoat." It makes me want to punch her in her stupid bunny mouth. A more realistic response would be"I SAID LEAVE YOUR FRIGGING RAINCOAT ON!"

On the other hand why is this Ruby's responsibility? Where the heck are the parents of this little bunny family? Why does Ruby put Max to bed? Why does Ruby keep Max from dying of pneumonia in the rain. WHY DOES 7 YEAR OLD RUBY MAKE THE TURKEY DINNER FOR THANKSGIVING? Someone should seriously call Social Services.

So I'm done ranting now. I've gotten completely enraged and irritated over a 20 minute show about cartoon bunnies. I may need to get out more. Just a thought.

4 comments:

  1. Max and Ruby..do da do do...
    Ruby and Max...do da do do...

    No idea what you are talking about????!?!?!?!?

    Oh gosh...
    I need a life

    ReplyDelete
  2. the irony... somehow today's cartoons got away from me and I am stuck watching Max and Ruby. I HATE this cartoon for ALL the same reasons you do - especially the voice. GRRRRR. We never watch this show because I literally cringe and get the same tic and twitch as you when I hear it coming on. So today I thought I would distract myself by reading blogs and up came yours - I can't get away from her. So funny. Today's episode has something to do with her bunny brownies or whatever they are and of course Max is ruining her play time. I'm suprised she still has friends with a naughty brother like that. And in another part she is trying to play dress up with him and he doesn't want to (can't blame him), he just wants to get into gramma's "special" box.
    Talk about being able to relate to someones blog. haha
    Renice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max & Ruby... oh the joys of parenthood. Do I actually even have channels other than Treehouse & PBS Kids??
    Here is my list of kids shows I HATE:

    -Toy Castle
    -Dragon
    -Angelina the Balerina
    -The mole sisters
    -Maggie & the Ferocious Beast
    -Miffy & Friends
    -Tipi Tales

    Who thinks of these annoying cartoons anyway? I hear your pain Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever though what your kids think when they watch Max? Do they think it's ok to act this way, because mommy and daddy will clean up the mess? Hmmm...

    It's plain unrealistic; I wonder if kids get the difference...

    ReplyDelete