Tuesday, July 3, 2007

A blogging re-birth

Well it's been ages since I've posted anything. I blame Facebook. And I'm not even on it! Conscientious objector that I am I refuse to succumb to the Facebook pressure but it does sort of feel like blogging is dying because of Facebook.

So here's a recap of May and June:

*We've put in our lawn and this weekend Hugh has been building our fence. This is another moment where I feel like we're play-acting being adults. Okay you be the dad and build things with tools and I'll be the mom and keep the kids out of the way and make you things in my easy-bake oven. It's very surreal and I keep waiting to wake up to "real life"...whatever that may be.

*Since moving to Medicine Hat I have developed seasonal allergies. Last year I thought I caught a cold but eventually started taking Reactine and living life again. This year, because I'm pregnant, I can only take Benadryl which totally knocks me out. I discovered this one morning after taking one first thing and then spending the rest of the morning lying on the couch feeling like I had just been on a week-long bender. Every so often Tristan would lean over and say "mommy are you all done sleeping now? Can you not close your eyes anymore?" And honestly, it felt like my eyes had been glued shut so I mumbled something about "mommy's eyes being tired and needing a rest" and seriously prayed that the kids would not burn down the house while my eyes were closed or fry their brains with all television being watched.

So I've learned I can only take the Benadryl at night. It helps me sleep which is nice but I still spend all of everyday blowing my nose, rubbing my itchy, swollen eyes, feeling like my head is stuck in a cloud and seriously wanting to take a bottle cleaning brush and stick it down my throat because it's so itches SO MUCH that I'm almost developing a tick.

*Hugh has been working tons of overtime in the last month and a half. As a result, my kids have developed a love of Starbucks as I've been forced to cope with all the unrelieved alone time with the kids by rewarding myself with copious amounts of sugary, liquid-candy coffee drinks. The sugar high just helps you know? Typically I go through the drive-through where my kids always ask if they can get "fries and burger". On a side note: the only craving I've had this pregnancy, besides all things sugar-laden, is McDonald's fries.

One day to kill more time I told the kids we were going to Starbucks. No response. We got into the coffee shop and Ava stopped and looked around and then shouted excitedly "this is where mommy and daddy lovin' coffee!" Oh yes it is. The kids split a Strawberries and Cream Frap and are now officially hooked. The other day Tristan was in time out and he yelled "ALL DONE! Can we go to Starbucks?" Sorry son it's only mommy who gets to use food as a coping mechanism.

6 comments:

  1. Um..the correct call for that drink is a 'strawberries and creme frappucino blended creme.'

    I am officially a Starbucks nazi.

    Also....

    I cope with my life by rewarding myself with food..what's so wrong with that???? (cut to picture of my belly....oh..nevermind....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 'the blogging queen' has resurfaced....i like it!

    Heather, you should blog everyday. I love reading your blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heather,
    Do continue to blog! I'll be your faithful reader. I HAVE succumbed to facebook to a degree, but I refuse give up on blogging and become a facebook drone.

    Glad to see that sugar and Benadryl are getting you through pregnancy :) I should have done it that way the first time around.

    And Tristan and Ava recognizing Starbucks? Why they're kids after my own heart!
    Now if Ella learns to recognize that green logo, I will be so proud.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to know that my child isn't the only kid around who asks for fast food... Oakley always asks, "Mom, Man Hortons for a muffin?" when I reply "no", his response is, "Donalds??"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather,
    I'm so looking forward to your visit. And I'm so happy to read your thoughts, once again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beware of the McDonald's fries craving. It was my only craving during my pregnancy with Aidan and I still pay the consequences every day at the gym. My muffin top mocks me every day. On a brighter note, it is getting smaller for all my effort. Can't wait to visit in Smithers and have Michelle make us some starbucks delights.

    ReplyDelete