Monday, July 23, 2007

You can do it. I'll be helping.

So I've gotten myself a job. Because that's something every 7 month pregnant woman with two kids at home is looking for right? Let me tell you the story.

I got a phone call out of the blue last Tuesday from a guy named James wondering if I was interested in a job being a decorating consultant for the Home Depot in Medicine Hat. Completely random. Now I know that pregnancy makes you forgetful but I'm pretty sure I would remember if I had applied for a job. I called him to get some details and he informed me that he had gotten my name from a friend of mine who used to do decorating and still had her ad in the yellow pages. He cold called her and she passed my name to him since she's now a nursing student and no longer in the decorating biz. He also said he was planning to be in Medicine Hat on Friday if I was interested in an interview. As I said before I was definitely not looking for a job 2 months away from giving birth but I was curious and it meant a free coffee for me at Starbucks which is part of my core values never to turn down.

So he interviewed me and at the end of the interview said that he was planning on setting up another interview for the Medicine Hat store but that he was so impressed with me that if I was interested he would offer me the job right then and there. (Pat on the back for me.) "Obviously," he said, while eyeing my largely protruding mid-section, "you'll want a bit of time to think about it." I promised I would have an answer for him on Saturday and he left me a number to call while he moved on to some BC stores.

So here's the breakdown of the job. Home Depot has been working on setting up consultants in every store across Canada and they're going to launch this new service in September. They have contracted a company called 3D Interior Fashions to provide this service and hire the consultants. I believe you will be able to request a consultant either in the store or online. 3DIF gives their consultants a computer that you check daily to see if there has been any requests for you and it is the decorator's responsibility to contact the clients within 48 hours of their request to set up an at-home or in-store consultation at both the client and decorators convenience. (Lot's of flexibility. That's a plus for me.) Plus they provide you with all your sample books and business cards and a space within the Home Depot store to use as an office. Essentially it is like running your own business through the store. They also require that you spend a minimum of 8 hours a week in the store building relationships with the Home Depot associates and generating leads.

I felt like like this job would be perfect in so many ways except for the timing. I'm having a baby in 2 months! That's when most people quit working not start a new business. And we did not decide to have another baby just so I could go to work. I want to be home with this baby and give this baby as much focus and attention as I gave to Tristan and Ava. Anyway after much debate, dilemma and tears (I am pregnant after all!) and a completely sleepless Friday night I decided I would be willing to try this out on 2 conditions. 1). If they could give me 2 months after the baby is born to be completely hands off, sort of a mini maternity leave and 2). If I did not have to spend anytime in the store after the baby is born until such a time as I feel up to it.

I called James on Saturday and he answered with "do you have good news for me?" I told him I was interested and I outlined my concerns and conditions for saying yes. I fully expected him to say "thank you for thinking about this and we'll keep you on file if we need more consultants in the future." To my complete and utter suprise he said yes with no hesitation to both conditions AND thanked me for being willing to give the job a try. Nice ego boost for me.

So it looks like I have a job. I think. I can't actually wrap my brain around it right now and although James told me to expect a phone call from Head Office early this week I keep feeling like I'm going to get a call, "we've decided to go for someone less...pregnant."

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! Good for you for thinking it through and being bold enough to say what YOUR NEEDS were to be if you were to take the position. I am so excited for you. I am sure you will be an awesome addition to their company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....you crack me up...hope you're having fun in Calgary...see??? Don't panic...it's going to be ok...(Isn't that what you tell me everyday??)
    Can't wait to see you in ONE WEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Heather - I know you can pull it off. You put the SUPER in "Super Mom".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there - random comment and question. I am considering this job as well. Can you please tell me how your experience has been so far seeing that this post was from last year?
    Thanks
    b

    ReplyDelete