Thursday, September 9, 2010

Is it just so I'll have something to write about?

Guess what I did yesterday?  I bought myself two brand-spanking-new hide-a-keys.  Contrary to what you might be thinking right now I did not go and get them as a result of last Friday's key debacle.  I should have.  I meant to.  I thought about it several times.  But I didn't.  Which meant that yesterday when I was sitting with Sebastian on the front steps of my porch waiting for Hugh to come home from work to unlock the door for me for the second time in under a week I was seriously kicking myself.

Since last Friday I have been very aware of where my keys are, paranoid about getting locked out again.  Yesterday after dropping the kids off at school I came home to get Sebastian (for the record he was home with Hugh not alone making martini's) and headed out to do some errands.  Before leaving the house I made sure I had my keys.  I took them out of my purse and held them in my hands so I could know with absolute certainty that I had them before locking the door.  Just as we were about to cross the threshold I noticed Sebastian wasn't wearing any shoes, that I had forgot to put some on him.  I put my stuff down, put his shoes on, grabbed my purse and walked out the front door locking it behind me. 

In one of those slow-motion moments you are powerless to stop, the front door slammed shut as I realized the keys I had been holding in my hands, the keys I was determined to be aware of at all times, weren't actually in my hands.  Of course not.  I had put them down with my purse to get Sebastian's shoes on and only picked the purse back up because, as mentioned yesterday, my keys are always in my purse.

Except for when they're not.

The first thing I did after Hugh came home and unlocked the door was drive to a key-cutting place and get myself two keys.  One is hidden outside the house and the other is in the change purse of my wallet.  My keys may not always be in my purse but at least my wallet will be!  On the plus side, as of today we are the proud-ish owners of a new front loading washer and dryer (which is a whole other story I will tell you about) and my firstborns turned six and each got a free birthday drink today at Starbucks.  Things are looking up!

2 comments:

  1. It really is a slow motion moment, isn't it? When your door is closing and you've realized your keys are inside. I've done that a lot too, which is why we have keys hidden outside, and my neighbors have a set too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just keep all my keys on one chain that way i CANT lock my keys in the house cause i need them in the door in order to lock it. But i guess if your door locks without a key then my way wouldnt work.

    Happy Birthday to those two beautiful munchkins. Cant believe it has already been 6 years since they were born. I still remember where I was when Simone called me to fill me in on the news. I still remember coming to visit you in the hospital. You are doing a fabulous job raising your brood.

    ReplyDelete