Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Nothing overwhelmingly important or exciting. Don't you want to read it now?

Every Monday night Hugh has a music practice for the upcoming Sunday morning.  For whatever reason this week Tristan and Ava were inconsolable that he had to leave.  They tearfully watched him through the slats in our living room blinds as he got into his car and drove away.  When he was finally out of sight they collapsed sobbing into each others arms.  They were really working themselves up, each feeding off the other, cries getting louder and louder and more hysterical.  It was quite comical really and then Sebastian - the younger brother - pipes up and says, "Guys! Guys!  Don't worry, Daddy will be back.  Daddy will be back guys.  Don't worry.  It's okay, it's okay."

********************

I watched Beverly Hills 90210 religiously when I was in highschool.  Just for kicks I watched the series premier the other night.  It was hilarious.  The clothes! White shorts and white socks on girls... and guys - Steve Sanders I'm looking at you - was quite the trend.  The hair!  Brandon seriously rocked the mullet. The synthesizer in all the mood music.  The fat girl no one wanted to be chemistry partners with which is how Brenda and Kelly first meet.  SO not an okay story line!   Brian Austen Green.  Is so wee in the first episode his voice hadn't even dropped yet.  Also, Dylan?  Where was Dylan?  Why wasn't he in the two-hour premier?  I need to know when he shows up.  I guess I'll have to keep watching...

********************

 Tristan hates change.  Last week I took the kids to the video store to rent a movie.  It was a cold grey day and nothing appealed to me more than gathering my little chicks under my arms and cuddling all up under a blanket and watching a movie.  After ix-naying a Power Rangers we've already seen, and a Justice League we've already seen, and another Power Rangers we've already seen, and a Barbie I didn't want to see I used my parental rights and decided to rent Nanny McPhee.  Oh the tears!  Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth!  If there had been sackcloth and ashes handy my kids would have walked out of Blockbuster wearing them.  Can you say no concept of real suffering?  

After declaring my intention of watching the movie by myself they all caved and sat and watched it with me.  Surprise, surprise,  they loved it.  And watched it at least three times over the week we had it.  Today it's -26.  It's cold and grey and snowing.  On the way home from Costco I decided to whip into the video store and pick up another movie.  Since they liked the first one so much I thought renting the second one, Nanny McPhee Returns, would be a hit.  Oh right.  I forgot who I was dealing with.  The first thing Tristan said was, "But I wanted the other one!  I only like the other one!"  This is also the kid who will not try chocolate cake if it comes in any other shape but a square, chips other than Creamy Dill, and generally anything he doesn't recognize or hasn't tasted before.  He is a walking catch 22.  

********************

I am making my kids popcorn for lunch.  Don't judge.  We just got back from Costco and there were a lot of good samples today.  So many that we don't actually need lunch.  I told the kids I'd make popcorn for the movie but they can't quite wrap their heads around the fact that 12:00 has come (and almost gone) and they haven't had lunch.  So I told them we're having popcorn for lunch. Which I better go make before they decide to mutiny.  

How do you survive grey days with kids at home?

2 comments:

  1. Your title made me want to read it MORE. Well played ;)

    Our grey survival days include the kids eating a lot of animal crackers, much movie time, and me generally counting down time till naptime while drinking copious amounts of coffee.

    Can you tell today is one of those days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had little kids it was pretty much the same as Kari...

    Now we watch a movie, snuggle and I drink coffee...

    Oh wait...it's the same as before!

    ReplyDelete