Thursday, September 7, 2006

celebrity schmelebrity

I saw Mary J. Blige on Oprah yesterday.

Seriously why are people so ridiculous around celebrities? In classic Oprah form a woman was invited on stage and given the "surprise of her life" when her hero Mary J. walked onto the stage. I was so embarassed for this woman my stomach was churning and my face had gone beet red. I'm what I like to call an "interactive" tv watcher. I'm the the person who yells at people on reality tv shows and gives movie characters advice.

Anyway, this woman was sobbing and clinging and crying and Oprah actually had to pull her off so Mary J. could sing. I just don't understand what turns presumably rational people into such idiots when it comes to celebrities.

Another infamous Oprah episode (yes I am a stay at home mom) was the Tom Cruise one where he spent most of his time jumping on the couch. When celebrity hotties are guests the audience is always allowed to ask a few questions and seriously where do they find these people?! I think one of the questions was if he prefers boxers or briefs. WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!! And on another show (no really I do have a life) I think someone asked Matthew McConnaughey what his favourite part of a woman's body is. Again WHO CARES!!!!!!!! I'm sure it generated some business for plastic surgeons so maybe they care but other than that...

Why couldn't this woman have said "Wow, it's really great to meet you. You've been a real inspiration to me. Thanks for being so candid about your story." Do celebrities give off some kind of crazy vibe that causes people's brains to melt around them? I could understand it around say Nelson Mandela or Queen Elizabeth. But around Eminem or Jessica Simpson? Come on!

I'm sure if I were ever in that situation I would be calm, cool, collected and generally unimpressed by their fame and fortune. Then again I've never met an actual celebrity. Unless you count Mr. Dress-up.

5 comments:

  1. I cried when Celine Dion came on the stage at Ceaser's Palace....I think it was b/c I've loved her singing for so long, and I couldn't believe it was really her. I did meet Paul Macartney once and didn't cry...also, no crying when I talked to Brent Butt. I don't know why it's such an emotional experience but I know that once Calvin and I watched a special where this kid with cancer met his hero (I think it was baseball) and Calvin was SO emotional..not just b/c the boy had cancer but b/c he could imagine the feeling he would have if he met his hockey heros. If I ever get the chance to take Calvin to ACC for a Leafs game, you can bet he'll cry like a baby. I know it's not on the same level as clinging to M.J.B. but I can kind of relate. Oh, and on the Oprah front, I forgot to tape it yesterday so I'm glad I didn't miss a really good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have met Mr Dress Up Too! I agree with you that some people can go so overboard when meeting someone famous. I have met and seen a bunch of well known worship groups and there is a sense of AWE, where you think wow those songs that everyone sings were writen and made big by these people...but you have to remember they are JUST people like you and me. We all put our pants on the same way...haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know what you mean I feel completely embarassed for people who make a fool of themselves when they meet celebrities. I would like to think I would be nonchalant if I met someone famous but I was sadly mistaken.

    Last year Smallville was being taped right across the street from the Warehouse. I was a little giddy because Carson and I watch the show all the time but also because there was a chance that I could meet Tom freakin' Welling. He is so HOT!! I'm allowed to say that Carson knows all about it. Jensen Ackles' trailor was two feet away from my office window, literally. We came face to face when he stepped out! Anyway, I think it's a good think I didn't meet Tom Welling because I know I would of made a fool of myself blubbering incoherentness (now I"m making up my own words). It would have been like the time I met John Starnes. I was so giddy that I was fumbling over my words and then I totally insulted the guy. And he's not even a real celebrity That darn foot in my mouth got in the way!

    I tell you being here in Vancouver totally helps you get over that though. You're bound to see celebrity. For my sake I'm glad it's from a distance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone I'm so with you! I think Tom Welling is H.O.T.! Hugh knows too. He has a thing for Lana Lang. Smallville, there's something for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat celebrity gossip up. I totally care if Tommy wears boxers or briefs. During coffee break i go to all of my favourite Celebrity gossip sites that provide me with all this information. It's fascinating to see how many bikinis Lindsay Lohan wears, or what TomKat or Bennifer pt 2 are up to. I do agree with you that it is annoying when people act ridiculous around celebs. But I find people annoying most of the time anyway.
    I'm like the black sheep of your blog commenters Heather...I so don't fit in here...
    -DJ-

    ReplyDelete