Friday, September 1, 2006

On how I'm almost a saint

So awhile ago I was playing this shape sorter game with Tristan. Tristan loves this game. Like L-O-V-E-S this game. He especially loves it when we open it up and all the shapes come crashing to the floor. He actually does a little happy dance.

I do not love this game.

This is typically how it starts out.

Me: "Tristan, honey, that's a star in your hand. You can't fit a star into the cross shape right? Let's turn it around until we find the hole that matches the shape in your hand."

This is typically how it ends:

"TRISTAN! I SAID THE STAR DOESN'T GO THERE! STOP PUTTING IT IN THE CROSS! IT DOESN'T GO THERE!"

I hid the game in the basement for a couple weeks because the sight of it was making me twitchy. I think this toy is actually used as a form of chinese torture.

But I have progress to report. I think I'm growing in patience. Yesterday I played this game with Tristan and I didn't yell ONCE. Yep, I've definitely grown. The fact that Tristan has learned the difference between the star and the cross is just one of those funny coincidences that happen in life sometimes.

2 comments: