Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Extraordinary moments in an ordinary day courtesy of Starbucks

I had the funnest thing happen to me this morning! (And yes you grammar junkies I know "funnest" isn't technically a word.)

I went through the Starbucks drive through to pick up coffee for Jane and I. Usually she brings coffee to me so it was really fun to be on the giving end this time. Actually I'm not 100% convinced that it's more blessed to give than receive when it comes to coffee because I really enjoy receiving a Caramel Breve Latte. That would be a caramel latte made with cream. Jane's entire face folds into itself when she drinks mine by accident and she gets a "sugar shake". That's when something is so sweet it actually gives you the shivers. Jane's coffee ideal is espresso, espresso, and more espresso. By itself. With nothing. Yuck. My ideal is something that only barely tastes like coffee. When I'm feeling exceptionally indulgent and can make myself forget that I'm drinking an entire weeks worth of calories I will top that caramel latte made with cream with a little whip and caramel drizzle. It's a little bit of liquid candy heaven.

Anyway, because it's fall and because I love seasonal things and because I love drinks with whip cream I ordered the Pumpkin Spice Latte for me, a double Tall non-fat Latte for Jane and a muffin and a scone. I paid with debit but I must not have hit "okay" at the end because the transaction timed out. When they tried to reswipe my card it wouldn't work so they gave me my entire order on the house! If getting super sweet liquid candy is fun, getting it for free is even funner! (You say potayto, I say potahto. You say more fun, I say funner.)

Sipping my free extra-hot latte, I drove along a street under a canopy of leafy trees in all their fall glory. The sky was clear, cloudless and brilliantly blue. The windows were rolled down so I could breathe deeply and sample the crisp, Fall air. To top it all off my kids were quiet in the back seat; a truly rare occurrence. As I drove in peaceful silence I was conscious of the gift of such a glorious momet and I felt truly grateful to be alive to experience it.

6 comments:

  1. Yummy...can I have one too...

    Hey, you know what? We were in a Starbucks in YVR and Calvin asked for a Breve latte and they had NO IDEA what it was! I was all 'no way' and they were all 'yeah way' and I was all, FINE, REGULAR LATTE Juanita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love FREE starbucks. We went through the drive thru in a Starbucks in Kelowna that had JUST opened and when we went to pay for our order with debit they said their machine wasn't connected yet and since we had no cash (thank the lord for never having cash) she just gave it to us!!! Its a sweet day when things like that happen to you. I am heading to the large garage sale in Vernon at the rec centre this weekend..makes me think of you.. miss you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmm, I love pumpkin spice latte. Just had one two days ago and counting down the days until I can have another one. Wish mine were free too. Not a true coffee drinker also so I love my flavoured drinks. I'm also looking forward to the Egg Nog latte. Mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first coffee experience was in biology 12. I drank a cup of coffee, and smoked a cigarette for a science experiment on how ones heart rate is affected by nicotine and caffeine. That night I puked my guts out and was close to death. I never drank coffee again until Heather took me out to Java's the day before I went to University. Heather told me that I MUST have a frappuccino. Even though coffee scared the hell out of me because of my little science experiment I obliged. The next morning I woke up deathly ill. The entire drive to Edmonton I was shivering, sweating, hallucinating. Luckily for me my mom was driving and looked after me. Ever since that day I shared a frap with Heather I’ve been convinced that coffee = death for the DJ.
    This latest blog makes me laugh cause while you are having your starbucks moment, you never realize the effect that you had on me with coffee...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. DJ I did that experiment too. Weren't we in the same bio class? And you're right I never knew that I almost killed you by forcing you to drink that frap. I apologize for all the death and destruction coffee has brought into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries little Heather, whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger :)

    ReplyDelete