Thursday, February 17, 2011

Learning something new isn't always a good thing

I did a bad thing yesterday.

I did not clean bathrooms. And I certainly did not iron bedding thanks to you my lovely commenters for helping me let go of the guilt.

Instead I made dough.  Lovely, cinnamon-y dough with little chunks of apples.  And then...

I fried it.  

Yes you heard right.  I dropped it by spoonful into hot oil in a pot on my stove and watched them sizzle and spatter and bubble and turn golden brown.  And then, after draining on a plate of paper towels I dusted them with icing sugar.  


And they were good (even if the picture quality isn't).  Oh so good. 


In fact, I've eaten three in the time it's taken me to write these few short sentences.  And they're cold.  And now I'm in trouble.

I love fried dough and various fried fair foods (fried fair foods, say that five times fast!).  Confession: more than once I have paid the gate entry fee just to get a bag of those mini cinnamon donuts and then left the fair.  Though I have this love in my heart I have never in my life fried anything.  I always thought it was too difficult, too time consuming, not worth the effort required.  Um.... turns out it really isn't difficult at all and it's SO worth it. 

I have had my eye on this recipe for fried peach pies since I discovered it last Fall.  I thought it would be amazing.  I thought it would be a revelation.  I also thought it would be way too difficult so I've never made them on the basis that A) I didn't know how to make pastry and B) frying is too difficult.  And then I went ahead and made the mistake of learning how to make pastry for these butter tarts at Christmas.


Um... obstacle number one out of the way.  

And now....  Oh help me.  I know how to fry. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh. MY. WORD.

    Those look AWESOME.

    Do NOT let me make those or I'm in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for you to fry me up some yummy goodness at the end of April!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well those just look fabulous. I'm afraid of frying things. I always think I'll set something on fire. Frying is a blue job in this house... but I do know how to make some wicked pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um. Since reading this I have honestly been dreaming of frying food. And eating it.

    ReplyDelete