Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Revelation. A good way to start the day.

I am an avoider.  You could probably also call it procrastination but it's more than just putting things off for another day.  I avoid in the hopes that it - whatever it is - will go away, disappear, cease to need doing.  I know it doesn't work that way.  I know that not doing something equals it not getting done.  But somehow I always try to convince myself otherwise.  Maybe, just maybe, this will be the time that avoiding works.  It's kind of the same theory I apply to seeing if a bruise still hurts.  Does it hurt?  *press*  Yep!  How about now?  *press*  Yep, still hurts!  I can't help myself.   I keep pressing on the discoloured circle thinking maybe, just maybe, this will be the time I press it and it doesn't hurt.  Because a lot can change in 30 seconds.

Here's what I have been avoiding the last few days:

1. Cleaning my bathrooms.
2. Tracking down my Chiropractor/Physio receipts for our income tax return.
3. Walking a thank you card over to my neighbours for the gifts they gave us at Christmas.  
4.  Cooking the roast that has been defrosting in my fridge for 3 days.
5.  Washing my hair

Here's my rational behind the avoidance:

1. The longer I go without cleaning my bathrooms the longer it will take me to clean them.  Therefore I haven't cleaned them.
2. I have no idea where my Chiro/Physio receipts are so it will take some work finding them. Therefore they can't be found.
3. We made the thank you card at the end of January.  It was embarrassing at the end of January that it took me so long to get make the thank you card.  Now it's the end of February and doubly embarrassing that I haven't walked it over yet.  Therefore I don't want to walk it over.
4. Hugh loves roasts but I never cook them. I have no idea how long to cook a roast for and I don't want to wreck it.  Therefore, I haven't cooked the roast.
5. I did plan to wash my hair yesterday but then I remembered I had Zumba when Hugh got home from work and I didn't want to sweat up freshly washed hair.  Therefore, I still need to wash my hair.

Wow.   

These are really stupid reasons.  I didn't realize how ridiculous until I said it out loud.  Or, well, wrote it. 

Huh. 

Guess it's time to just get things done.  

4 comments:

  1. Giggling! Loved this post and so happy I found your blog. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. cook the roast in the crock pot. Simple. I can give you the recipe and its simple, painless and tastes AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always do my roast in the crock pot. Season it, add some veggies with a little stock/water and bob's your uncle!

    I'm currently avoiding cleaning my bathrooms too, however, I have company tonight so now I can't avoid it any longer. Why not invite someone over to force you to clean it? haha!

    ReplyDelete